Friday, February 6, 2009

Agency

I would like to take some time to explain my feelings on agency. Some would say that having to follow all the rules of the church is too restrictive. I don't feel being a member of the church is confining but the opposite. My religion has liberated me.
True I have been taught not to drink alcohol, coffee, or wear immodest clothing. Ultimately I choose to follow the guidance the Lord has provided, not because I am afraid of social ridicule or feel that I am force to comply. I choose because through prayer and experience I have found that following the gospel leads me to greater happiness.
This is an analogy that I think describes how I feel:

Imagine you are handed a delicious looking fruit juice. It smells and looks like it would taste better then anything you have ever had. You are very excited drink it.
Before you take your first sip, I inform you that there is cyanide in the drink that will kill you if ingested any of it.
Can you still take a sip?
Your answer if probably "no."
Did I take any freedom from you? Did remove any physically capability rendering it impossible to drink?
No. I only gave you knowledge.
You would not be able to drink it because you know that doing so would cause death, and you can't drink it because you do not want the consequence.

That is how I feel about being a member of the Church. I have been given knowledge that prevents me from participating in some behaviors. I feel more enlighten and free because I am taught how to avoid pitfalls that would lead me away from my ultimate goal of returning to my Heavenly Father.

No comments: