I have been thinking about the example of Pahoran today, and I wanted to write about it. The Book of Alma in the Book of Mormon there is a war going on between the Nephites and the Lamanites. Captain Moroni requests reinforcements from the government (Alma 59). When no help come he wrote another epistle to Pahoran, the chief judge of the Nephites (Alma 60). Moroni is very upset by the neglect of the government and censures Pahoran.
Pahoran's response impresses me so much (Alma 61). He explains that there has been up rising among a group of the Nephites called the kingmen who have joined with the Lamanites, and he has been driven out of the capital. In Alma 61:9 he states "in your epistle you have censured me, but it mattereth not; I am not angry..."
I am sad to say that I don't thinks that how I would of responded to Moroni's epistle and criticisms. I think that I would have defencive and angered by it. Instead of anger Pahoran rejoices in the greatness of Moroni's heart. Because Pahoran is not blinded by his pride he is able to find an answer to his prayer in Moroni's epistle. He rejoices in the knowledge he gains instead of being offended.
Moroni had told Pahoran that "God has said the the inward vessel shall be cleansed fist, and then shall the outer vessel be cleansed also." Moroni goes to the aid of Pahoran in regain and restore peace in the capital city. They are then able to drive the Lamanites out of all their land and restore peace.
This story really makes me think about humility and trying to humble myself more. It encourages me to humble myself and listen to the Spirit when miscommunication or conflicts arise. I want to be open so that I can find meaning and answers to prayers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment